Today, we are going to discuss the significance of cybersecurity in any Cloud Phone System.
Cloud Phone System is widely used to meet the communication needs in all organizations which function globally.
These have a few stressing issues, which are not able to be handled easily by the employees.
The threat of data being stolen by third parties unofficially is increasing on a daily basis.
The internal communication codecs have been compromised due to the vulnerability of the cloud system.
Also, we are going to know in detail about the measurements to be taken by the owners of the companies to safeguard their data without being peeked by others.
In this blog post, you are going to learn:
- How do Cyber-attacks threaten the reputation of the organization?
- The Vulnerability of Cloud hosted systems and the risks involved.
- Necessary safeguarding factors to be considered while making use of the cloud services.
How do Cyber-attacks threaten the reputation of the organization?
Enterprises running on IP (Internet Protocol) telephony are often exposed to various types of data breaching issues.
Either this will impact the next quarterly report of the organization or the employees who are dealing with the securing of the data loss will get fired due to ignoring the loopholes.
But, hold on, not just the enterprises, every individual in this advanced technology-driven world might have faced at some point or the other a low time with the cyber-attacks.
Don’t dig deeper, if your mobile phone is working on a 4G Network and constantly receiving text messages or video messages regarding the lotteries or any other huge loan proposals, which are in no way close to reality are the traps by the cyber attackers.
Here, as an individual, data is secured by either erasing the phone’s user data or by uninstalling an application that is treated as a malicious one.
In the case of an organization that has onboard 500+ employees, it is not that simpler thing to perform something like erasing the data.
Cyber-attacks generally called hacker’s ultimate motive is either to expect huge ransomware from the victim.
They don’t care whether the victim can pay them or not, they will place a text box or a notification bar that demands the particular ransomware to get the lost data back.
Here, not all organizations can back up their files that are stored in the cloud, in that case, if a cloud service is hacked, every file will be corrupted and cannot be retrieved back.
For some huge companies, this will be a huge reputation risk.
Whatever the projects they are working on and the businesses they are associated with will lose confidence and eventually develop trust issues due to the cyber-attack.
They are not able to accept it as a hacker’s fault but consider it as a mistake of the victimized company for not having a secure firewall.
Most of the world’s reputed companies that provide software services globally have witnessed this many cyber-attacks.
Only those attacks which are filed as a complaint with the investigation departments are on the records, many companies will prefer paying the ransomware and getting their data back from being off the record.
The second thing mentioned above is an actionable point from the perspective of a company’s owner, but if anyone has chosen that way, it is also like encouraging cyber-attacks.
That is why many awareness programs are being conducted globally to spread awareness on what to do when you feel your data is compromised.
The vulnerability of Cloud hosted systems and the risks involved without Cybersecurity.
- Cloud technology, after its inception, people have started working more productively and companies placed the huge burden of data handling on the cloud by removing it off their shoulders.
- Here is the catch, wherever cloud technology is present, there will be a huge risk of data loss due to technical server issues or due to cyber attacks.
- In the first case, data can be retrieved easily if the server issues are found and restored to normal, this can be done by the personnel working on-site within the organization in case of a hosted cloud system, or external expertise support is needed if that is hosted on the third party’s cloud provider.
- In the second case, where we quoted the word cyber attack, it is not something that can be resolved by working internally, because the data which has been stolen is done with the purpose to defame your organization or exchanging something in between as cash or a material gift.
- Cloud-hosted PBX systems are extensively used in the companies where they have branches spread around the world.
- Communication challenges are said to be overcome with the help of cloud PBX.
- Usage of IP phones and softphones will assist the employees to work more effectively without being worried about sharing their thoughts and ideas when they are working remotely or working from various locations.
- If we discuss the advantages of Cloud PBX telephony, there are many. There is always a saying, that with such great power comes great responsibility.
- When cloud PBX is used in any organization, the precautions and backup plans are streamlined.
- The process will be in such a way that there will be a zero percentage of a data breach within the organization.
- Unless any individual working within the organization leaks the data or takes an illegal step further.
- Cloud PBX and VoIP transform the existing communication system into a more powerful one.
- This can be done with help of transmitting information with the Internet as a medium.
- To avoid any phishing, call interferences, and other cyber attacks, there is necessary of establishing a strong firewall that acts as a defense for your entire telecommunication system.
- Companies that rely on the cloud VoIP providers have to ensure that the provider is running their services with strong security in terms of data encryption and end-end communication.
- Small businesses have no other option than preferring to the cloud phone system provided by the service providers because of the space and aforementioned reasons like the risk of being hacked.
- Here, the responsibility must be held by the providers before allowing their provisions to enter the market that their services are risk-free and ensure data privacy and security when coming to the cyber crimes happening in the world.
Necessary safeguarding factors to be considered while utilizing the cloud services.
Based on the size of the organization, the security reasons may vary.
For small businesses, there will be no need for high-end data security since the employees are less in number and the on-site manpower is enough to monitor the security terms and identify any obligations related to the data protection and address them right away with the concerned individual.
For large businesses, that have employees widespread across the countries, and if they need to avail of the services from Cloud PBX providers, the board of that particular company has to arrange a meeting with the provider to clarify the security concerns and guidelines of the company.
If a provider considers security as a second option, then this would be not the best choice to meet your communication needs.
There are certain things to keep in mind while utilizing the cloud services, they are:
- An organization or an official body of operations has to stay in touch with the cloud service providers for verifying the quality of services by focusing on the security terms.
- Updating the software of softphone applications or other applications which are meant to run on the computers provided by the cloud service provider must be done regularly.
- Assigning a person or a team to look after the security compromising factors and identifying the loopholes is highly recommended.
- Changing the passwords now and then is an added benefit to avoid cyber threats imposed on your organization.
- Call monitoring, and call logs access can help identify any intrusion.
- Organizing webinars or on-site awareness programs for the employees to stay updated on the risks involved while utilizing the cloud services will reduce cyber threats.
- Applying Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) will provide additional security to your organization.
Demographics of Cyberattacks
We must be aware of the historical data concerning cyber attacks, this will provide more insight into developing a strong yet high-performing working module while working with cloud telephony.
These demographics are not placed here to either frighten you or warn you for not using the cloud services but to enlighten your approach and increase your productivity by taking the necessary steps mentioned above while using the Cloud services.
|Country||Average Cybercrime Cost (In millions of dollars)||Increase from 2017|
According to the news published on The Hindu dated July 05, 2021, more than 1000 companies have been affected by the attack on Miami-based firm Kaseya, and the hackers, in this case, have demanded $70 MN.
By considering all these cyber threats, the organizations must double-check the services they are availing of to be clear from such unexpected things in the future.